Saturday 30 January 2021

Week 5 - You are doing great

 


Hello everyone,

From what I can gather last week was a difficult one for so many. The weather has made it hard to get outside and the novelty of homeschooling has worn off for most children. Please be reassured that you are doing a fabulous job. I know how challenging homeschooling is and I'm so impressed by the quality and quantity of work that is shared with me. 

Please don't worry if you are struggling to follow the work set - we have all been there (trust me!). I also want you to feel confident to tailor your child's timetable around what works best for you and your individual family situations. Aim for some maths and literacy (in some form) everyday if you can but please don't stress yourself if some days this doesn't happen. In my household my husband is doing the maths and reading activities with our children in the day and then I am doing literacy and writing with our children at teatime when I get home from school (surprisingly they really enjoy this set up). 

Please also feel confident to tailor learning activities around what works for you best.  Life skills are also  valuable activities for your child, for example reading and following a recipe can count as a maths, literacy and a life skills activity. 

Buddy letters:

Please can I have all Buddy letters by Monday 1st February (AM) so I can quarantine them before they go out on Thursday. You can either email or deliver these to me. Thank you for all the letters I have received so far.   

Flip grid:

This week we will have one new flip grid which will be to share how we are staying or getting active. We will also continue to use last week's flip grid, sharing our WW2 activities.

Maths:

On Thursday I will be dropping of Book C in power maths, so please do not work beyond the current unit (problem solving or perimeter) in Book A as we will come back to these when we return to school. I have decided that we will jump to book C as it covers many of the units that were missed altogether last year and I also believe they will be more straightforward to follow at home. 

I know that some parents have expressed an interest in doing additional maths with their child and rather than doing additional pages in power maths I would suggest that you give them activities based on telling the time, money and length and capacity. Many of these activities can be done practically at home using real money, rulers, jugs and clocks. 

As ever, if you have any questions, comments or concerns please email me.

Kind regards,

Ms Browne & the Year 4 team                    

No comments:

Post a Comment